The Writers House is seeking a Digital Exhibit Consultant to help us transition a planned exhibit of veterans’ letters to an online format, in light of adjustments made in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. This is a temporary, project-based role.
Digital Exhibit Consultant (Part-Time, Temporary)
The Writers House at Rutgers University—Camden is seeking a Digital Exhibit Consultant to help transition a planned exhibit of wartime letters and other communications online.
About the Writers House
The Writers House, located in a restored historic house on Cooper Street in Camden, brings together the campus and community for programs that highlight writing across diverse disciplines, communities, and media. writershouse.camden.rutgers.edu
About the Exhibit and Project
This exhibit is part of Outside the Wire, a multi-platform humanities project highlighting the narratives of American veterans, especially those from marginalized communities. This project is made possible by a grant from the New Jersey Council for the Humanities. The project has been ongoing since 2017, and has encompassed public discussion programs, generative writing workshops for veterans, and other components. This year, we solicited war letters and other communications from veterans and their family members, with the intent of displaying them in the Writers House in April 2020. Due to adjustments made in light of the COVID-19 outbreak, we are transitioning to an online exhibit platform.
About the role
- Assist the Project Director with digitization of materials provided for the project (used with permission of the owners), creation of an exhibit site in Omeka, and labeling metadata.
- Work with the Project Director to create didactic materials appropriate to a digital exhibition.
- Create a sustainable content management workflow that enables the site to receive submissions and add content after the exhibit has launched.
- As needed, assist in the solicitation of additional materials from contributors.
- Experience digitizing documents and photographs, especially reproductions varying in resolution/quality.
- Experience with building and maintaining digital exhibits; experience with Omeka or other content management software highly recommended.
- Knowledge of best practices in universal design for digital media.
To apply please send a resume and brief cover letter to Leah Falk (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 15.